Hello Livelihood and “Currency Corner” Readers! For this month, instead of an article, we will be conducting a “Community Currency Challenge Quiz,” to encourage readers to do their own research and learn about community currencies (CCs).
Below are 20 questions about community currency or related topics. The first person to get all 20 questions correct will win a dinner for two at Tilda’s on a Friday night worth 80 CCs ($80). If no one gets all 20 correct, then the person with the most correct answers wins the prize. Are you excited yet?
Please send an email with your answers to: Editor@hudsonvalleycurrent.org
Reminder: First one with all 20 correct answers wins the prize!
The challenge will end on July 15th.
Community Currency Challenge Quiz
- What is the name of a software/web application that can track currency exchanges such as the Current? (Note: There are a few. Please name one.)
- What was the common name of a local currency used during the Great Depression in the 1930s?
- Who is the entrepreneur that led efforts to introduce community currencies in Kenya?
- What is the term that describes when a currency is not circulating with other currency members, for a long period of time?
- Can you name an internationally-based long-standing local currency that is still active?
- What is the name of the currency system in Switzerland that targets small and medium-sized businesses?
- What is the community currency system in which people provide each other with care and everyone’s services are of equal value?
- What is the currency system, close geographically to the Hudson Valley, that was introduced with the support of the Schumacher Center in 2006, to spur economic growth in its region.
- What is the largest time-based currency in the UK? Originated in Wales, it is earned by volunteers for giving their time to help organizations to attract and retain volunteers.
- What is the name of the city in Brazil that initiated a community currency to incentivize local residents to address its major garbage problem?
- Which US city launched a paper currency with historical and cultural figures appearing on its denominations?
- What is the name of this virtual trading system, which is less common today, that began in Canada in 1983 and spread rapidly to the UK, Australia, and New Zealand in the 1990s, enabling individual community members to trade goods and services and to set their own price?
- Who is the entrepreneur that started the now defunct community currency in Ithaca, NY?
- What is the name of the Australian community currency, coined by Dr. Leanne Ussher, featured in a previous “Currency Corner” article?
- What is the process by which currency is taken out of circulation to prevent users from hoarding it, also known as negative interest?
- The name of the current Hudson Valley Current initiative that grants Currents to nonprofits, encouraging them to trade with partner nonprofits to address capacity needs?
- What is the name of this small upstate NY city that is instituting a pilot universal basic income initiative?
- Who is the legendary Belgium expert in currency system design and implementation who died in 2019?
- Who is the scholar, educator, community economist, author of The End of Money, and leading authority on moneyless exchange systems, community currencies, and financial innovations?
- What is the name of the Lewish