This month, our featured Current member is the Hudson Valley Seed Company. We reached out to co-founder Doug Muller to learn more about the company and why they use Currents.
- Please describe the work you do at the Hudson Valley Seed Company.
I am one of the co-founders of the business and currently run the organization, supervising the team that grows, processes, packs, ships, and sells our seeds.
- What is your background and how did you start your business?
I studied comparative literature in college and started my career with several writing positions; I became a high school English teacher for several years after that. My agricultural and horticultural skills are mainly self-taught, though one of my first jobs as a teenager was at a garden center! I started the business with my partner K Greene, transforming the seed library he had started at the Gardiner library into a homestead-based seed farm and business.
- How do you choose the seeds you offer? What is special about these plants/seeds to you?
We offer a wide range of seeds at this point, and our catalog reflects our priorities: a diversity of offerings for a diversity of gardeners, with an emphasis on local and regional heirlooms, excellent varieties bred by farmers and publicly-funded breeding programs, unique flowers, varieties that come with interesting stories, and certified organic offerings.
- Can you share any exciting projects you have coming up or new products launching?
We are well known for our Art Packs, and we’re currently working on 12 new ones for next year, which will be released in November. We’re also growing more crops on more acres than we ever have before thanks to our outstanding farm crew this year!
- How did you get involved with Hudson Valley Current?
We answered the call to start accepting Currents due to customer inquiries and a desire to support the local economy.
- Why do you use Currents in your business?
We like the idea of valuing our local customers and building a currency of exchange that builds a healthy and vibrant local community. Also: they’re pretty!
- How can our readers learn more about you and your business?
Check out our website at hudsonvalleyseed.com! Or stop by our retail location at 4737 US-209 in Accord.